Monday, March 2, 2009

The Great "Mega-Storm" of 2009

I was asked by my colleague Paul Bakas to come to New York City to help him with a Design-Build workshop for his client on the East Side Access project. Before I left home, I checked the weather for New York, but only looked at what it had been over the past week rather than at the forecast. I brought my sport coat, and I am glad I did, but I landed at JFK about 3 hours before all the local airports were closed down with the largest snowstorm of the last 20 years.

I managed to get to downtown on the train and check into the hotel and even go to my favorite korean restaurant in Manhattan for dinner and got back to the hotel as the first snowflakes started falling. It pretty much snowed all night until about 7:00 this morning. It was 21º this morning and has been in the low 20s all day and is quite windy with the windchill at about 8º. It has also snowed off-and-on all day - about 10" total. It is 16º right now with windchill of 3º - expected to be 11º tonight.

Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera with me on this trip to New York City. I would have liked to get some photos of the City with all the snow as well as photos of the Empire State Building from my hotel window. It is just a block away and so pretty at night. Last night is was lit up on top with white lights. Tonight, it is orange. I did get these two poor quality photos with my cell phone.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Rebecca and I so wanted to stow away in your suitcase and see some of NYC too!

Kerry said...

I would have loved for you to be able to!