Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Big Apple

So here I am back in the Big Apple. It is freezing - again! At least this time I was prepared for it. I brought a warm coat. It is 15 degrees below normal and even though it is clear and not stormy, it is downright frigid, with the wind howling through all these tall buildings.

Speaking of tall buildings, here is the Empire State Building from my hotel room.

I am not sure what building this is, but it is pretty cool looking with the gold top and the clocks on all four sides.

I am in lower Manhattan. This is looking north toward upper Manhattan. Most older buildings have old wooden water tanks on the roof. You can see a couple of new metal ones, but for the most part, they are wooden. Rather than boost water pressures for the entire system to force water to the tops of all these tall buildings, they just put these tanks up and let them provide the water pressure for the building. The system pressure only has to be enough to get the water up to the tank.



Madison Square Garden from the front of my hotel.

And from across Seventh Avenue at West 32nd Street at night. Madison Square Garden sits on top of Penn Station, the main rail/subway station in lower Manhattan.

Monday night from my hotel room.


Tonight, the observation deck is lit up in red.

4 comments:

Cydney Jensen said...

That is cool! Once again, I am jealous! One time I stayed the night in new york....but didn't leave my hotel room. What a lame story haaha! Oh well I know you probably wish you weren't there.

Lauri said...

Great views from your room, maybe one of these times I will get to go with you. I can't believe you have such great views.

Natalie said...

Another place I have never been, but is definately on the list to see!

Rebecca said...

i am sooooooooo jealous. ugh.