Saturday, January 17, 2009

Valley of the Temples

Years ago, in one episode of Magnum, PI, the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples was used prominently in the story. Each time that Lauri and I have been to Hawaii, we have talked about going to see it, so this time we did. On January 17, we figured out where it is and went to see it. It is a replica of a 12th. century Japanese Buddhist temple built in the late 1960s. Its name translates to the Phoenix temple, because of the two majestic metal phoenixes along the top ends of the main temple. It is a recreation of the Buddhist temple in Uji, Japan. Inside the main part of the temple there is a 12 ft Buddha sitting on a gold leaf lotus.



Ringing the bell:




Feeding the birds and the fishes! This little girl was having a ball getting the birds to land on her hand.







3 comments:

Cydney Jensen said...

I don't know why, but I feel like this would remind you of your mission! Was it kind of like that there? How did I miss seeing all of these posts? Did you start them a while back and not publish them or what? I know my computer cord didn't work, but I was trying to stay on top of it with my phone. I totally missed these!

Kerry said...

It is very much like the Buddhist temples we visited in Korea. The flora is different since Korea is temperate rather than tropical.
I had a bunch of posts started and just got around to finishing them.

Cydney Jensen said...

That should have been fun to bring back memories! You are confusing me with "old" new posts and then moving them!