Sunday, September 7, 2008

"Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice"? Nope, "Snakes and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails"

Or at least, "toads and fish and puppy dog tails!"






There was a time when I thought my whole life would be more in the realm of "Sugar and spice and everything nice." I guess it turns out that there was a lot of "Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails" scattered in there as well. I am pretty blessed to have the five wonderful daughters that I do - they make me proud.

After all was said and done, I disovered I had only one photo of Jes and Dave and their boys!


Too bad Lauri wasn't in the photo. It's not like we don't know how to use the time delay, duh!

What a fun, relaxing way to spend several days! We got dirty riding the four wheelers, we caught fish (at least I did), we played with the dogs and each other, we caught a horned toad and bugs, wiped out several bee hives and got stung by bees, did a little maintenance work on the cabin and lot, and just relaxed.


Some of the best fishing, at least the fishing I like to do, is on these little mountain streams. Lauri and the girls kid me all of the time about "the stance." That come directly from sneaking up on these fish in the small pools and trying to fool them into eating a fake fly made of strings and feathers. I would rather do that than any other kind of fishing.







The boys got to go fishing with grandpa, even though we didn't catch anything. The big problem with fishing in these little streams, is that it is very difficult to teach to young children. We did have fun though and it is a beautiful spot to try.





I think everyone had fun with the four wheelers. That was the biggest surprise of the trip I suppose. All the kids thought I don't like them. That isn't really true. I do, but in a more controlled environment such as at the cabin area. What I don't like is people who ride them irresponsibly. Too many times I have hiked into "roadless" areas where they are not allowed, to hunt or fish, only to find people who either cannot understand the law or simply feel it does not apply to them, riding around on their ATVs.




I suppose we will always take this kind of photo whenever there is a "lost" available to take one. "The lost in the corndog" will always be a favorite memory and we just keep reliving it. That is why we do things together - to create memories that are sweet and lasting.



"Toady" the horned toad was a hit with the boys from the time he was found until we let him go so he could grow up to find a mate and have other little toads.


Playing in the playground. Such fun!

1 comment:

Lauri said...

I will try this again! As I watched this Nat King Cole's "Unforgetable" came on and I found the timing very good. Even seeing the posts on other blogs the pictures still make me smile. It was a fun weekend and memory worthy. We are blessed!