Saturday, November 7, 2009

November 7, 2009 Dives - Mahi & Makaha Caverns

On Saturday, November 7, 2009, I dove with Jo (divemaster) from Ocean Concepts. We did two dives, the Mahi, a 95 foot deep dive on a ship that was intentionally sunk as an artificial reef and Makaha Caverns, a 50 foot deep dive on a shallow coral reef with lava tubes and swim-throughs.

Since I was in Jo's group, we were first in the water. There were 18 divers and three "guides", so they paired up all the divers and the three guides each took a group. This was the first dive for my Peak Performance Buoyancy certification.

Visibility was not so good - only about 30 feet. There was a small group of Spotted Eagle Rays right as we were descending, but they took off and we didn't see them again.

Spotted Eagle Rays

I spent the dive concentrating on positioning in the water and making sure that I didn't settle down on anything that I didn't want to.

The visibility was such that getting good photos was difficult - lots of stuff in the water. I managed a few close-up shots as I swam along the length of the wreck.

White Didemnid (Tunicate)


Sculptured Slipper Lobster


Crown-of-Thorns Star

At the bow, there were two very large Day Octopus right out in the open on the ocean floor. I think they were mating. I took several photos, but was having some kind of trouble with the camera. I am not sure what it was, but it just wouldn't focus. This is the only photo I got that turned out at all.

Day Octopus

I spent so much time with the Octopus right down on the bottom that I burned through most of my air and had to make a slow ascent while swimming the length of the wreck back to the mooring line. I did my three minute safety stop and then surfaced beside the boat and did a buoyancy check before getting out. I was weighted just right with 16 pounds.

On the second dive, we made the normal tour through Makaha Caverns. The visibility was better than at the Mahi. This was the second certification dive for Peak Performance Buoyancy.

This little Whitemouth Moray was poking out of the wall of the reef right under the boat.

Whitemouth Moray Eel

As we headed up the first little canyon, I saw this Fisher's Sea Star.

Fisher's Sea Star

This turtle wanted to swim along with us.




Green Sea Turtle

Lots of colorful reef fish today.

Reef Fish

Found another Green Sea Turtle out eating on the top of the reef.


Green Sea Turtle

As we got back under the boat, I had to hover in mid-water for three minutes. While I was doing that, Jo started rubbing two fingers together and the Milletseed Butterflyfish crowded around her to eat the bits of skin she rubbed off.



Milletseed Butterflyfish

I was about out of air when I got done hovering, so I ascended and got out with 100 psi left.

No comments: