Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 20, 2009 Dives - Black Rock & Land of Oz

On Thursday, August 20, 2009, I dove with Jo (divemaster) from Ocean Concepts. We did two dives, Black Rock, an 80-foot deep dive on a coral reef with an overhang and Land of Oz, a 65-foot deep dive on a coral reef.

I was the first in the water. There were 7 divers and two "guides", so five of us went with Jo and the other two were students with Doug.

There were lots of cool things to see and photograph, but I messed up when I loaded my camera. I did not put new batteries in, so it immediately gave a low battery warning and would not enter macro mode. Consequently, even though I took a few photos of the nudibranch we saw (lots of them) none of them came out real well. Toward the end of the dive, even the flash would not work and the photos are all disappointing.

Kangaroo Nudibranch


Orange Cup Coral


Green Linckia

I feel bad about the other photos, but especially this one. This Gold Lace Nudibranch (new) was the first I have seen.

Gold Lace Nudibranch

I slowly ascended to safety stop depth and did my safety stop under the boat before swimming up to the ladder and climbed out.

On the second dive, I had fresh batteries. This is a tunicate, called White Didemnid.

White Didemnid

This is a small hard coral that grows in patches on the reef wall and in caverns.

Swelling Coral

This little guy caught my eye as I swam past. The others completely missed it. He didn't want his photo taken and I had to hold real still and wait for him to tentatively poke his head out so I could take the photo.

Dwarf Moray Eel

This little scorpionfish (about 1-1/4 inches) lives inside coral heads. I see them frequently, but rarely where I can get a photo.

Dwarf Scorpionfish

These two big Yellowmargin Moray Eels were tucked back under a ledge. When I took the photo, I had no idea there were so many other interesting critters under there too.

Yellowmargin Moray Eels

More of the critters tucked under the ledge with the morays.

Hawaiian Squirrelfish, Iridescent Cardinalfish and White-Stripe Cleaner Shrimp

Some more critters from under a ledge.

Female Pencil Wrasses & Juvenile Twospot Wrasse

As I was ascending at the end of the dive, Jo was a little way behind the boat and near the surface and was looking right at me and alternating between shrugging her shoulders and pointing with both hands to something in front of her. I swam over and the was the strangest jellyfish I have ever seen. I took these photos, but they don't even begin to show it!

It was sort-of conical with wings on the four corners. In the center between each wing was a line of lights that were constantly changing colors. It also had tentacles hanging out the back. I looked it up later and it is Ctenophore or Comb Jellyfish. It is pelagic and eats fish!




Comb Jelly

Great dives!

No comments: