Saturday, October 6, 2007

October 6, 2007 Dives - Kewalo Basin Pipe & Secret Reef

On Saturday, October 6, 2007, I dove with Ryan from Dive Oahu. We did two dives, Kewalo Basin Pipe, a 60 foot deep dive on a shallow coral reef and an old outflow pipe off of Ward Center, and Secret Reef, a 45 foot deep dive on a shallow coral reef.

I was still a little nervous about the deep dives, so I decided to be a little conservative again and I chose 2 shallow reef dives for my second dive adventure in Hawaii.

We descended along the bow mooring line to the pipe. Right after getting there, I saw and took a photo of a Zebra Moray Eel which is pretty rare. Swam slowly down (Makai) the pipe to the end. Saw lots of reef fish and eels. Took photos along the way. At the end of the pipe, there was a moray and a school of Bigscale Soldierfish in the very end of the pipe.

Swam slowly to the west and then mauka back to the mooring line. Ascended slowly along the mooring line and got back on the boat with 900 psi to spare.

The second dive was really from the same place. Once again Ryan and I swam around to the bow and descended along the mooring line. We swam mauka along the pipe and the reef along side for a ways.

Turned to the east and swam over to Secret Reef. Swam around the reef and looked under overhangs and saw the whole reef. Swam back to the pipe which sucked up all my air. Only had 400 psi left and Ryan found two Day Octopus swimming. I got a quick photo and ascended.

I took lots of photos, but not very many came out so you could see what was supposed to be in them.

1 comment:

Cydney Jensen said...

It is so weird for me to see some of these fish in these pictures from the ocean. We have been looking at fish for our tank and I don't know why, but I don't think of them as being fish from the ocean...even though our tank is salt water. We have a Royal gramma that is the same colors as the hawaiian cleaner wrasse.